Saturday, May 2, 2020

Audrey's Rainbow Unicorn Cake

August 2018 -  Audrey requested a unicorn birthday cake. I complied, to the best of my ability.
First step was to prepare the cakes. I'll be honest - I cheated and used packet vanilla cake mix and did the "melted butter and extra egg" trick to make it taste better. 2 packets of greens vanilla butter cake mix, divided into 3 bowls, then coloured with Americolor gel food dye - in hot pink, electric purple and teal. I added each colour in blobs to 3 identical prepared cake tins.

After the cakes were baked, I trimmed and leveled the tops of the cakes, saving the cake scraps. I layered the the cakes with basic white buttercream frosting - butter, icing sugar and a little of this for flavour:
Don't ask me what a unicorn's dream tastes like. I still don't know. I made a MOUNTAIN of frosting - enough for between the 3 cake layers, a crumb coat over the whole cake and enough left over to make cake pop mix.

I added the extra frosting to the cake scraps from earlier and crammed the pastel cakey monstrosity into a waffle cone. I covered the cone in store-bought white fondant and decorated it with food colouring to form a unicorn horn, painting on a mix of gel food colour and a little water to form a "paint" consistency. If I do this again, I'll use vodka, as the water paint made the fondant soften, get sticky and make it very tricky to handle.

Do you know how difficult it is to make a unicorn horn that doesn't look like a phallus?! I do!

Ok - moving on. After refrigerating the cake to firm up the buttercream crumb coat, I rolled out some more white fondant to cover the whole cake

I coloured a small amount of fondant with pink and formed some pointy ears around a bamboo skewer, to help with assembly. I also coloured some fondant with black gel colour to form eyes/lashes for the unicorn face.I left the decorations to air dry until firm.

Once everything was dry and firm, I assembled the cake - the horn was attached using 2 bamboo skewers inserted into the cake pop mixture. The ears were attached using skewers and the eyes were attached with a tiny bit of water, applied with a fine paintbrush to make the fondant tacky. I decorated the bottom edge of the cake with artisinal marshmallows, from a local supplier, alternating pale pink and white. Here is the finished cake



No comments:

Post a Comment